Should we pay attention to:
- Curing the disease when it is already transmitted (attack the problem that we can see)? or
- Preventing the disease from being transmitted (defend ourselves from the problem?) or
- ‘Cure’ ‘the reason that causes the disease to be transmitted (what causes the problem)?
Let’s take this situation. Suppose there is a couple, both of whom are HIV positive and both are sexually fidel to each other. Given so, would the two increase the prevalence of the disease ‘out there’ in society? No, you say? You are right!
So when does the disease increase its prevalence?
It (only) happens when one or both partners choose the act of infidelity with each other. Should partners choose fidelity with each other, transmission of the disease is likely to plunge immediately across society. And plunge faster than any interventions by government or organizations will make it possible.
And it is (way) cheaper. There is the price we pay for not dealing with the causality. And the price tag is US$27 billion! and that is just by one country – USA. That is money that could have been somebody’s salary increase. However, I suppose when we do not figure these out, we probably do not deserve those salary increases! Otherwise, it can easily be there for our takings.
Now, this was interesting for the Department of HIV/AIDs because a big part of its efforts and budgets placed to curb the epidemic was to ‘prevent the disease being transmitted between mother to child’. However when they recognized that 80% or so transmissions are because of indiscretions by couples in their sexual behaviour (and the primary causality of the disease), they began to realize that whilst they worked hard to stop the disease being transmitted from mother to child and hospitals therefore saved the child from its mother but when the child grows up, and becomes an adult, it is possible that the child may not be able to save from itself should it engage in sexually indiscriminate practices itself! The money it had used to save the child, ‘literally was now become money that it had poured down the drain’!
But it is harder to ‘work on the fidelity between the couple’ in the bedroom. It is easier to manage the transmission at the hospital between the mother and the child. So we ignore it, choosing easier ways out such as resorting to dispensing condoms, or encouraging practices of circumcision among men or extolling the vices of maintaining sexual networks or encourage total abstinence. They work somewhat, but not realistically enough to make sure the country will meet its target of zero infection rates. Yet, we are not talking as yet for us to learn what it takes for couples to learn to want to be together and afterwards it learns to also exercise sexual fidelity between each other. Till we get there, can we expect to solve this problem? No. You can deal a blow, but not solve it.
So, what causes sexual fidelity? Or have you too given up that the idea is possible?
Notice most sexual indiscretions happen away from the glare of the ‘day’ and under the cover of the night and in spots that are deliberately designed to keep ‘the authorities out’ (see pages 3-5) and apparent ‘disorder in’? What are we hiding from? Who are we running from and then afterwards who are we running into? There lies the answer to our questions on fidelity!
So what would lead a couple to become fidel with each other?
- Fact and Fiction About HIV Transmission (everydayhealth.com)
- Shocking HIV Rates Among Black Women – ABC News (abcnews.go.com)
- Impact of Male Circumcision on HIV Doubted (circumcisionwisdom.wordpress.com)
- How HIV Changed One Life Forever (everydayhealth.com)
- Sexual Intimacy With an HIV-Positive Person (everydayhealth.com)
- Early HIV Treatment With Antiretrovirals Unlikely to Impair Cognitive Development in Children, Study Finds (inquisitr.com)
- People Care More About The President Cheating Than Their Significant Other Cheating (thejanedough.com)
- The Allure Of The Coy Man (heartiste.wordpress.com)
- a little fatherly advice (briancoatney.com)
- Strategies for HIV/AIDS (jacobam.wordpress.com)
- Possible Key To Ridding HIV Infection From Immune System – Vaccination Strategy (medicalnewstoday.com)
- HIV vaccine on horizon as scientists develop jab that gives 70% protection to monkeys repeatedly exposed to virus (dailymail.co.uk)
- Dr. Martha Buchanan: Knowing HIV/AIDS facts combats dangerous misinformation (knoxnews.com)
- How HIV Spreads (everydayhealth.com)
- The Conscious Mom’s Guide Links Kids’ Behavior, Emotions and Health to The Stars; Innovative KidScopes Help Moms Understand, Assist Their Children (prweb.com)
- Secrets of Fascinating Womanhood.. (marcusstephen.wordpress.com)
- How to Save a Marriage – Free Book (solaceandjoy.wordpress.com)
- Oh my goodness Dr.Gray! (3bean.wordpress.com)
You must be logged in to post a comment.